downtown clinton

The Clinton City Council has given second and final reading to a city budget of $29,996,175 for FY 19.

No one spoke Monday night about the budget at a public hearing scheduled during the council’s regular monthly meeting.

The council also spent more than an hour and a half in a closed-to-the-public session to discuss contracts and a legal matter and, in open session, approved an arrangement to have the Laurens County Water & Sewer Commission operate the Whitten Center Sewer Plant for a year. After the year, and a replacement of the sewer system funded by a state grant, the sewer plant will revert to city ownership.

The current Whitten Center Sewer Plant was designed to serve 3,000 people, but actually now serves just 300 people. Replacement with a smaller system will cost $352,000, the council was told.

Clinton’s new budget of almost $30 million raises taxes 2.2 mils to fund a financial plan that is .43% higher than this year’s budget. The city will keep 29% (maximum allowed by state law) of the Local Option Sales Tax money for public safety equipment and have the remaining 71% go toward property tax relief. The city will give raises to employees based on their salary levels, and will grant Christmas bonuses.

Electrical rates are stable, but water and sewer rates are going up; each parcel of land in the city will be assessed a $20 fee to pay for public works equipment. Sidewalk repairs, technology replacement, Public Safety building improvements, and possibly a fire sub-station at I-26 are budgeted, also.

The financial document says there is money budgeted for a recreation complex.